Tuesday, August 23, 2005

And the moment I have been waiting for:

While the chicklets were doing this:







I was busy capturing photos of black bears... and more frighteningly black bears that pop out of bushes... especially when you are not expecting them. Turning the clock back an hour, this is how it all went down...... I spotted crazy bear out in the fields running for his life as usual, as I rounded the corner. There were cars parked, watching one big guy come in from the field as well, but they couldn't have seen crazy bear coming, at least not yet. People were about to get back in their cars when all of a sudden there was more rustling from the bushes, and out popped one big black head, and then another big black head. I believe these two bears were yearlings. At this point I was standing up on the blueberry field road way, so I walked back down next to a fellow bearwatchers van... and they were about 20 - 30 feet away from me. Well, the one momentarily hesitated, but then casually strolled across the road to the fields and began to happily eat blueberries. The other one wasn't about to do the same. He emerged from the bushes, but then sat down on the side of the road, then stood up, then walked across the road, but then something was still spooking him so he shot back across the road, then turned around, and tried one more time to make it to the blueberry field. I happened to be wearing a white shirt, and the fellow bear watcher van man kept saying to me... I don't think he likes your white shirt.... the big black guy kept looking in our (MY!) direction, and pacing about the road. ( I pause a moment here... I think the black bear clearly didn't like the colour of my quad colour hair don't... because I shouldn't be out in public with this mess of locks, and people keep commenting that it is quite light... so I guess the black bear was perhaps more partial to black hair, and that was the piss off of the evening for him, the audience was showing up all quad coloured and messy....at least that's what I think)....anyways.... He was trying to make it to his sister, who was still oblivious to his situation he was apparantley in, and nothing was stopping him, he had clear sailing, but he wouldn't go. He got up onto the little roadway next to the blueberry field, and started to dig a whole, but then came crashing back down onto the road, and kept looking in my direction. And this is how bear attacks happen people... I just kept taking pictures, yes I did. The heart did do a little thump a lump marathon for a short while... but I am thinking that I was standing right next to a van, and he was a fair distance away... he would have had to really charge if he truely didn't like my hair. I know what I am doing first thing tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the story....you're a nutty lady!

Anonymous said...

Loved the story....you're a nutty lady!