Saturday, November 05, 2005

Mrs. Nice

Yesterday I drove to the Salmon Hatchery for a field trip with the Big Grade 5er's. That thought takes me back to a number of years ago when myself and a friend drove a great long ways out of the way of the actual field trip. We agreed that we would not follow one another for this field trip. Although this field trip was basically down the street, and a right turn away... my friend and I were worried we could screw that up and we would be having a tour of a Tim Hortons coffee shop, rather than the intended fish hatchery.

All was well, we made it.. in the most pouringest of rain. I did not fear, I brought my umbrella. And so did another kid, but it's a shame that he didn't quite know what to do with it. While in the parking lot at the school, the three boys that I was driving wouldn't enter the vehicle because the unbrella holder wasn't sure how to get the umbrella in. After I hissed at the little imps to OPEN THE DOOR! they managed to enter the vehicle, except for the kid with the umbrella...he continued to stand in the pouring rain, waiting until someone took the umbrella from him. "Hand the umbrella to the boy in the backseat" I hissed.

WE made it to our destination in 2 1/2 minutes flat, and the boys piled out. The three of them stood on the roadside, in the pouring rain, waiting for me to stash my junk in the back of the 15 year old SUV. Umbrella boy tapped his umbrella impatiently... all three of them got soaked. Off we marched for the field trip.

During the field trip I saw the umbrella boy's umbrella attached to the Chicken Farmers Wife hand, and I asked her why she had it. "Umbrella boy didn't know what to do with it" she said. Hmmmm.

After a very interesting trip to the fish hatchery, and one fish dissection later, we were ready to head back to the school, for the 2 1/2 minute journey back. All was well, until I unlocked the doors, and tried to get umbrella boy back in. "Hey.. Hey... he starts to yell at me, "you have to get my umbrella down!". I being Mrs. Nice and all walked him through the task of taking down an umbrella and then entering the vehicle. It turned out to be a bigger fieldtrip for umbrella boy in the lessons of life.

1 comment:

Mz.Elle said...

Yikes!
You have patience Lady Deanna.
I think I might have whacked him with it..which might be why I'm not out in the general population much these days;p
Kudos!