Saturday, October 02, 2004

Competition

The bears are now busy being shot out of trees with tranquilizer guns... and the next neighbour to move in comes from the cat family, that's MR. Cougar to you and me. This part of town is becoming the next wild kingdom....Mr. Cougarspotterhusband has seen this big cat. So far Mr. Cougar has eluded my eyesight.... I think I am going to put post-it notes all over the case of the binoculars that state "I Can't See"... and see if the cougarspotterhusbandman will notice. I am pretty excited about spotting it... I don't want to be standing next to it when I spot it... I will drive my 14 year old SUV to the point of observation...which is just down the street and around the corner....

Do you have to tip at Great Clips? I mean really... if these people wanted to sell their skills.. wouldn't they just head to a salon where people feel obligated to pay even more for a service that they already pay more than enough for??? I don't tip.... give me a break, you trim up my hair an inch and a half, check to see that the edges are even on both sides... kind of cut the bangs, but in actuality don't really cut them because of shear tearer from the person that is sitting in the chair staring at you...and then fluff it around a bit, a wa-la... it's a haircut ! This was the woman that cut the boys hair in under five minutes... I let her touch my hair. Well, really there should me the magic moment... the moment that you decide that the person cutting your hair has spent enough time fussing with it to actually be rewarded of a tip. This lady is the faster haircutter in the world... why would you tip that... she's probably clearing more an hour between you and I together! You are paid to cut hair...which is exactly what you did, task accomplished... so what's the tip for... "Yae, you did your job"....funny though... tables are turned when the little weirdlycute fellow cuts the boys hair.... I like this guy....although he has braces all of a sudden.... I like the way his hands float through the air, and the way he consults me everytime he asks the boy a question....and how he holds the scissors.. and... I like this guys hair, he has good hair..... Oh, and I like that he is always ironed (pressed) up nice... maybe it's the nice airy shirts he wears..or is it ..... the way he moves in his clothes.. yes, that's it.... and he has the end chair... so that gives me a clear view..... because I do watch him....can't help it... so I tip him... kind of a thank-you for having good hair, pressed clothes, an accent of some form, oh... he even cuts the boys hair nice.... and his name is Sam......not that I am partial to the name, it's just that it rhymes...not many people can say that about their professions...let me think..."Dr. Proctor" ; Dr. O.B. Onecanobee; .. I know "Becky the Techy"....;
Sam the Hairdresserman.... you have to like that little ditty. All this coming from me, the people watcher.

1 comment:

Chastity said...

Wow, first bears, now cougars. I'm a definite cat lover...I'd love to see a cougar in it's natural habitat. We get bobcats in this area, but not a lot.

As for Great Clips, I'll give my two cents on this subject. My mom owns a hair salon, and has been in the hair business for a long time. Her salon is very different from Great Clips....not the most expensive place in town, but definitely not the cheapest. So, having said that, she has said many times that she does not expect tips from anyone. Some people tip hair stylists, others don't. Some of her customers tip $20.00 for a $40.00 service, others don't tip at all no matter how much they spend. She honestly doesn't have a problem with it. It's not like stiffing a waitress who is only making $2.15 an hour and is relying on your tip. If you want to tip, then tip, if not then don't lose any sleep over it. Think about it like this...most people double the tax when tipping for food...so if you used the same formula for tipping for a haircut at Great Clips, your tip would be like 50 cents...really,what's the point in that?