Monday, December 06, 2004

Colourful candy with no where to go.

Today I had my group. I love this group... everyone that joins us has their own story of a long road back to tell, all of them are stroke survivors, and live with the sometimes devastating effects of their "injuries". But the very important point to observe is, this is where tales of determination, accomplishment, struggles and steep mountains are revealed, and the rewards are the people that tell them. My sole job is to coordinate such a group. Every week I come up with new ideas that will excite the senses, and perpetuate a spark in everyones core. All I do is facilitate, they do the rest. I have met amazing people with amazing stories at this group.

I had a little surprise in store.. today was the day that we were to make a gingerbread house. This would be a group effort to put together this house. Last week I hunted and hunted for the prefabbed kit with all the supplies inside. Then I hunted some more for the perfect colour coordinated candies to rest upon this lovely structure. Of course there is a purpose as to why I picked this activity... and the gingerbread house was just the avenue to achieve the goals. But the group didn't need to know that. In fact today, the group surprised me... every single person came and left... they met and drank coffee, ate muffins and lunch... and managed to escape before any activity even began. So there I was with one volunteer, one group member and myself.... and bucket load of candy and fixings for the house. All that work to find everything was for not... now I have it at home....where I already have a gingerbread house tucked away to do with the chicklets while they are off for Christmas break. Well, now I have two.

2 comments:

Chastity said...

Maybe next week??

Deanna said...

Next week we're out... for lunch!