Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Almost 15.... or 266, 567 kilometers

Our almost 15 year old White Toyota Forerunner SUV has been giving us grief this past week. I will not stand for it.
I will just say.... This is the one and only... much loved, always talked about, cared for (kind of, maybe, well almost) vehicle in the driveway. Our attentions are not diverted to a newer, cleaner, better colour, only slightly rusted wheel wells, quieter, and less gas sucking vehicle. NOOOOOO.... this vehicle gets all of our money, when it isn't being handed over to the dogs life extension fund. (I will not mention the 2003 Chevy Van that the husband uses for work everyday.... it's HIS to drive around from 0700 to 1900 everyday, with all of his millions of dollars of tools (do I have millions of dollars of craft supplies???) in tow).

This almost 15 year old SUV gets a ***whiff*** that we are planning on doing something... and it decides to act up. Without fail, like clockwork. Once again, it has managed to do it again. This weeks adventure takes us to the happy space of "the blowing up of rad hoses", or any hoses for that matter that have no business blowing up. This is where the story always has an interesting twist... the owner (well my name is on the registration.... but I will say the owner to be the person that wanted the vehicle more than I did) can fix it... he can fix it all... without even a wince or a manual in his hand, or a tow truck to be called. I don't know when this 15 year old SUV will figure this out.

On Friday afternoon... we were just about back from doing some shopping (the husbands one day contribution... inbetween his cooking, cleaning, working, and decorating)... when the biggest of booms happened. Luckily I had a "quick, can you drive me somewhere" spare card in my back pocket... (my friend from down the street)... (I rescued her from her 7 year old daughter a couple of weeks back.. and she tried to repay the favour.. so I said to her "Trust me... I will use you when I need you... just answer your phone when I call!!")... which of course happened on Friday. (Thanks Debbie for dragging out your sick child and busy child when I called... see I told you that I needed to save that free-ride/rescue from somehwere!!!) The almost 15 year old SUV was smoking and hissing and sizzling and antifreeze and water was everywhere. There was no fear in Mr. Fixit's eyes.... one car-ride in his NEW Chevy van, and a bikeride and a dig through his tool box, and he was able to replace the badness that had just happened underneath the hood. We were able to go out that evening... as planned...but now the 15 year old SUV was chugging along.. especially when we idled.

On Saturday afternoon... after a trip to TOYOTA'S parts department, the walk-in clinic, the pharmacy to pickup a prescription for a "suddenly sick Pipster-but a dose of antibiotics with lots of Tylenol to fix the aches so we can continue with our day", the Aquarium and The Stanley Park Christmas train, we stopped for gas. Hmmm... "look at the steaming engine again Sir" I said to Mr. Fixit... once again, he opened the hood of the truck, and another hose blown, or about to blow, or with a big rip in it....so we drove home, with a full tank of gas and a steaming sizzling hissy-fit happening under the hood.

Sunday morning... Mr. Fixit opens the hood, and tapes the newest of breaking hoses.. and we all pray that he can drive me to work.. without blowing....once again, idling was the worst part.. as we watched the smoke/steam rise from underneath the lines on the hood.... and leaving all of us stranded... (well kind of stranded.. I would have just continued to walk to work... they would have been stranded.. because they would have needed to go and find a hose store).... he managed to make it home, where again the truck had it's hissy fit in the driveway. Later in the day Mr. Fixit went back to the autoparts store.. and said "Give me all your hoses"... anything that looks like a hose.. I will take it". Once again he fixed the bad hose.. and picked me up from work. The 15 year old SUV was unhissable. It doesn't know that there are hoses that are connected that are not quite the right size, but will work for interim.. it doesn't know that...

I am thinking... I want to be my friend... she's a Chicken Farmer's wife.. and she drives a 2004 Volvo. I'm doomed.

No comments: