Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I frighten people

Yesterday the husbandman and I abandoned the homestead work to venture forth on a fieldtrip to buy wallpaper. We bought a little more than wallpaper. After we collected our wall wares, we went to find something to fix our ancient carpet. It's ancient, deeply ancient.. probably even before the Egyptians, or maybe just after.

Luckily we had the good fortune of owning a carpet that was basically beige. Beige is good for some things.... especially when you are an ugly carpet. It's only really ugly because it's flat and old, and probably really filthy underneath.

Have you ever tore up carpet and found a layer of fine silt? That is what we found in the hallway once upon a time, our bedroom once upon a time, and the den.. once upon a time. There was lots of silt then... I can only imagine what siltstorms are happening beneathing our feet as we roam about.... ick. But... since this room isn't a high traffic area, we decided to recarpet, rather than laminate floor it. Don't get me wrong.. I absolutely love the no carpet situation that I now live with... but I also like the warmth that a carpet brings to a room. Even if we spent a the money to put down laminate flooring, I would have only laid a area carpet over top of it. Now we are going to get some stain resistant minutely designed NEW beige like carpet. Absolutely perfect I say.

There is one small issue... the husbandman has been holding out on all his big overtime gigs, and decided that he was going to put forth all his cash towards his JEEP fund.

So... while we were at the carpet place I gave him the option of buying far cheaper flooring. I offered him up the chance. I had the carpet man howling in laughter with some of my questions to the husbandman. The king didn't know which way to answer... or just run.

I quizzed the husbandman how much longer I would be on the scene, and would it be worth it for him in the long run to invest in such a carpet. I then asked him if this was part of the JEEP fund, or would we have to come up with this carpet cash somewhere else. Then I asked him if the new carpet would draw him to the livingroom where we would sit and "chat". Now if anyone knows this man... they know he doesn't chat..... EVER. Then I asked him the question of whether or not $250.00 really does make a difference over the course of the next 25 years. As I sat at the counter/register I made the claim that the husbandman would have to forfit his JEEP fund at this time so that we could fork over the cash for the new carpet... otherwise I was taking the cheap stuff that we would most likely have to replace in a couple of years. Now.. anyone knowing the husbandman would know that he would never stand for that.... needless to say... I left the carpet place happy, the husbandman left the carpet place poorer... and we left the carpet selling guy shaking his head and laughing. Although .. I think I may have frightened him.

No comments: