Thursday, October 20, 2005

Somedays you just connect....

This very day I magically created some math work for the chicklets. The Chicklets eagerly devoured their pieces of paper with great skill and excitement. I was most impressed. I believe it had something to do with the fact that the other day I hissed and hissed and hissed like the queen of all hissing snakes at them about their appalling attitudes towards being asked to do 10 minutes worth of math work while the teachers are busy confronting the government. Funny, today I didn't get that same reaction. They both managed to find pencils and erasers and set to work... after a little while, and a while after that. Eventually I saw success. I had the boy drill himself on his multiplication facts with the random numbers I wrote on the page. The girl was asked to add up the same numbers on the page and pretend that the times symbol was actually and addition symbol, but it too was getting lazy and was laying on it's side. Even more to my excitement was the fact that the Pippy recognized the numbers that she had written backwards, and instead of correcting the lovely and well written backwards numbers I had her circle them, just to draw attention to the fact that these were well backwards written numbers. It also excited me to note that the boy has developed a short cut technique to knowing his times tables.. which simply tells me he is computing.. and that's all I want.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Deanna! I just send my oldest off to work (bugger made $141.00) and drag the other two all over town with me.