Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The amazing people that I know.

Earlier today I made the grand mistake of not understanding this from next. There are somedays that I just don't get things, well, most days I don't get things, despite my heavy usage of smart pills. Even though I have bumped up my dosage, the smartness thing still doesn't work for me. I will continue to wait patiently... that is ... if I remember...

Anyways, on to amazing...

I have had this long long long time friend, not that I am really old or anything, although it appears that way do to the whole piss poor memory thing... I digress....

I believe we are the masters of our own destinies. I really think that we have the ability to make things happen in our lives, with the steps that we take, or the choices that we make.

I think that the best choice I ever made in my life was the occasion of getting to know another girl that had decided that she (and so did I) needed to keep some rolled up pieces of paper from grade five, and drag them home for some unknown purpose. On our way home, we kept whapping one another with these rolled up tubes, and laughing our heads off. Yes, we laughed our heads off silly. For what reason I do not know.. but if there is one thing I do know, this was the beginnings of a very long and dear friendship.

The interesting thing is... although we have remained in close proximity to one another, it was where we were in our lives that kept a great distance between us. Between raising families, working, and other obligations, there is little time to spare for "others" who are not "in the moment" with you. It's an acceptable fact, friendships are work, and if they are not easily accessible, they have to shelved, while the priorities of life takeover.

So earlier today, I took it upon my confused self to go and visit my longtime paper whapping friend. Fortunately for her, I called her on my cellphone to ask her if in fact if this was supposed to be this Tuesday, or if today was next Tuesday..... luckily for her, I gave her the heads up that I was going to arrive in her homestead in about 20 minutes. Unluckily for her, I had used mapquest, so I knew exactly where I was going... so there were precious minutes to be made the most of in the speed clean process. Now, I can appreciate her amazing abilities... as I know that I would have tried to conquer the same feat, and I would have also prayed to the heavens above that if she was arriving on my doorstep, that she wouldn't need to use the bathroom... because I would have had to excuse myself to use it first... these are the fine details to a long term solid friendship, and also that we can laugh hysterically at ourselves.

Regardless of what she had on the go today, she met me at the front door laughing, as I fell out of my truck laughing... "I'm here!" I yelled from the rusting 16 year old SUV... "am I too late for this Tuesday or early for next week Tuesday?"... was the question of the moment... of course I was to early, but she made it clear that it was absolutely fine that I had crashed her quiet morning. Besides... she had managed to hide the hide laundry somewhere, before I had arrived.

It was so many moons ago that I met up with a ten year old girl, and I am certainly glad that I let destiny take over that part of my life, in knowing her.

Before I knew it, I had to go, not that I had to get home for 3:00, because as luck would have it today... I didn't have to pick the chicklets up until 4:30, but of course I didn't remember that... so I was off, and I got kinda lost going home, because I didn't want to go back the way I came... and I drove around the country side thinking about our friendship, and how I was very thankful that I have had such a long term friend, and how much the same we are. I was clearly thankful to note how similar we are.. even down to the memory loss issue... but she is something way way more than I could ever imagine to be... she is the rock that holds many lives together. Not that we all can't be a rock now and then, but I see her more as the foundation for those that rely on her to keep their lives in check, or to carry on. That, is truely amazing.. well, plus the fact that I can arrive at the doorstep.. and her kitchen countertops kind of glisten, and has cream for coffee... now that would certainly not happen in my home, well, when I'm home alone that is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the clarification!