Friday, January 16, 2009

Big boy, big toy.

The boy got his birthday present yesterday. We went for a test drive on Wednesday, and then back again yesterday for a longer test drive. He took a couple of other things for a spin, but they weren't what he was looking for.

He even asked to check out a fresh one.... so he would be the first one in the drivers seat. As fate would have it, the fresh one had a couple of dents, and scratches. Back it went.

He himmed... and he hawed.... was this what he really wanted...is this the one that he would own for years to come, did he like the colour, and did it have all the features that he was looking for?

Finally after an hours worth of test driving, we bought him his birthday present.

An acoustic guitar.


I am thinking about getting him some lessons now. Although, You.Tube is the perfect "any" lesson teacher that you would want. IN all honesty, I do not know what to do with him.... I would like to send him to lessons, but it would be the same as piano.... he would happily go to lessons, and learn what he is told IN the lesson, and then come home, and never practice. I know that is typical... but sometimes I think he learns from osmosis, and that is all.

What goes thru my brain:

Back to his piano:

His piano teacher said to me... "he really practiced"...
Me: "oh... really..... (eye brows quivering)... well, that's good!"
Piano teacher:....."he came in, sat down, and what I thought was good last week, was incredible this week"
Me:..."Ok then... progress it is... one line at a time, I will go with that"

Fact: I pulled his piano books out of his bedroom where they sat all week until 30 minutes before his piano lesson.
Fact: Piano teacher is very well trained, and has been teaching for years.
Fact: He practices as little as possible, but somehow manages to really get the keyboard, and can memorize his music almost instantly.

Problem: He can read music, but will not take the time to read his music, plays mostly by ear, and what he is shown after demonstrations.
Not a problem: You.Tube really is the next music teacher for him.

Problem: solved. You.Tube guitar teacher it is.

~~~

I talked to a HOT guy strumming a guitar yesterday... it sounded like he could play very well. He told me that he learned everything from you.tube. OK, Mr Two Earrings with Nice Jeans... you keep playing... women will love you.

~~~

So... we walked around the music store some more.... the boy played his "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the grand piano. Well... that's a nice sound. He played me some "stuff" on the drums. He strummed a lot... and then we made it into the keyboard room.

OK... oh my lord... I was right then and there going to drop TWO grand on a keyboard, and black box thingy to make it sound good... all for the boy. He played all his music... and added whatever soundy things that one could add to basic music.... and holy freaking flying cows ... it was beyond COOL to listen to. I do not know if it was the Chopin/Teardrop piece... of the Requiem for a Dream that he played with all kinds of junk added, and twice the speed... it was an amazing piece to listen to. I really wish then and there I had my video camera in my pocket....

In the meantime.....

Our Fussy was busily at home playing with the two cats that she is looking after. What a Fuss!

The son then asked me how come the Fuss doesn't play an instrument.... is playing with cats an actual talent he asked me....

At that moment... my name went from being Mom, to FRANK. I told him where she doesn't have it in the music department (whatsoever), she does have it in the life skills department. Where the boy could PLAY the piano & the guitar, & the drums, & give me almost every fact in music & other subjects known to man; the girl could take apart the piano and put it back together. It's the reason why she owns a tool kit, and he doesn't. It's the reason why she gets things, and he flies by the seat of his pants. It's the fact that this pink loving Fusspot is excited by "open shop Tuesday" in the Tech Ed room, and we were still waiting for him to bring home his very first project. Where she gets the sense of time, and the urgency of keeping others waiting, he has no clue that a clock exists, or that potentially he keeps people waiting because he has forgotten that there are people waiting for him. It's the very fact that unless people move mountains for him, he will wait at the bottom of the hill until someone offers him a way around the mountain; compared to the girl who would assess the situation & potential difficulties, find resources & supplies to get her up/over the mountain, and perhaps just start climbing the mountain on her own accord, and face the difficulties as they came her way... the boy would prefer to sit, and wait. Period.

So where she lacks in the music department, she far exceeds in other ways. In ways that will help her get through life, the very same way that music will get him through life... because he is going to need it badly, because little does he realize.... you can't move mountains by singing to them... as they only echo back a much bigger sound.

Yes guitar, piano and drum playing boy... choose your words carefully.....

1 comment:

Chaos is my Life said...

Oh my gosh...I had to re-think things here cuz I knew that "G" was younger...and then I was wondering why he was driving a car....when my kid wasn't there yet, but....it's a "guitar"....not a "gui....car"!