Friday, November 24, 2006

Just another day...

This week has been a bit tortuous on the tear ducts. Even though the events didn't directly affect me, they affected me in a very large way.

My Mom had a very special dog which landed on her doorstep about 2 1/2 years ago. His name was Blue. He was a beautiful yellow/blond lab, with big brown eyes. He not only sported an unbelievabley soft fur coat, but a beautiful disposition. He wasn't a pup when she got him, and when he arrived he had all kinds of issues that needed doctoring and care. My mom was just the person for the job. When he arrived, he couldn't hear, due to the badly infected ears that he had. Over time my mom dealt with all of his ailments, and eventually when you called his name, he could hear you calling him. He became her shadow, anywhere she was, he was. Blue was the guy that kept my mom and dad connected during the final months of my dad's life, when there was nothing left to talk about... there was always something to talk about, with Blue. He was the soft head that she patted during those long hours before my dad passed away. He was the four legged friend that eased her into a new life, on her own, without a human companion any longer.

It had come to light about two months ago that he had some new troubles, and it seemed that human intervention wouldn't fix him, or they could try, but they weren't certain it would work. It didn't seem right to extend the life of a companion that had shown more love & devotion in the short 2 1/2 years that my mom had him, all for the sake of not having to feel the pain of his loss before she wanted.

I just saw Blue on Tuesday, bounding about on one of his many cushions, and then to the next. Happy to be a part of this home, where extreme comfort was his only complaint. Unfortunately that very night, he had a turn for the worse, and my mom was faced with taking her best friend and have him put down. Nothing has been the same since. She had to say good-bye to the one thing that had kept her connected to her last best friend, my dad.

My mom claimed that she wasn't sure if she could do this again, but then my cousin called, and told her of a 6 month old chocolate lab that needed a good home..... and you just can't say NO to chocolate...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Deanna, so sorry about Blue, your mom must have felt really awful. Having said goodbye to several beautiful yellow labs in our lifetime, Dave and I know only too well the heartache.

I'm glad your mom now has a puppy to fill her life, it won't be the same, but she will always have room in her heart for loving a new friend, even though Blue and your dad will always be in her thoughts.

I came from Susan's blog.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

Hi

Sorry about your doggy, as you know we have always had Labs, they are such good dogs, Yesterday our Lucy the Labrador had Cathy's baby climbing over her and she just led there taking the punishment.