Friday, January 13, 2006

Christmas is over but....

Hamsterson insists on singing his favourite tune of the Christmas season, although now it is January, he claims he is warming up for the "upcoming festive time". The song that stole his heart "last" year was Feliz Navi Da... or how ever we are wording that song today. I know in my mind it isn't spelled like that at all.....

Many moons ago...
When I didn't live in this house, but way way across town in another house......
And a couple of moons beyond that....
Or more to the point: when I was YOUNG.

The Christmas Season would come flying into the homestead with decorations and christmas trees, and of course Christmas music!

There was always the one song that had me perplexed, well generally confused me really. The lyrics had something to do with a Mexican family, and their mother and a mexican prison. Year after year I listened on our tinny little stereo about the Mexican family plea to the officials at the mexican prison to "RELEASE MOMMY DOT," because all her loving family wanted to do was: "wish her a merry christmas". Now this confused me, why on earth would they only want MOMMY DOT home at christmas time, was she the only one that could stuff the turkey? What about the rest of the year, who did the cooking for them then, and why didn't they want her home the rest of the year? Every time I heard "RELEASE MOMMY DOT" on the radio, I envisioned this family sitting at the entrance gates with big white signs with the writing: "Release Mommy Dot!", "Merry Christmas Mommy Dot!" on it, and the Mexican prison guards shaking their heads and their bushy handlebar mustaches hiding the frowns on their faces. I guess Mommy Dot has still not been released from prison because I am still hearing the song on the radio, but funny enough they have changed the words....

2 comments:

Susan said...

Thats hilarious! You should have asked your bestest friend about it and she would have set you straight!
Funny how we miss-hear lyrics... Remember that old Madonna song. La Isla Bonita? "Last night I dreamt of some Deigo,...Young girl with eyes like potatoe!"

Chastity said...

You are too funny :).