Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Eagle count... uncountable.

Last Wednesday I took myself for a drive. Actually the little Tilly came with me... and her and I set off on a Eagle watching adventure.

I believe she really enjoyed herself, because she had that look on her face,.. but then.. she has that look on her face when we feed her too, so really, it's a tough call to make.

Anyways.. away I went... me and my camera, and other assorted items.

After the way the FUSS and the KING talked about their eagle spotting adventures, I was surely lead to believe that I too would enter the kingdom of eagle eyes. My sleepy co-pilot stayed silent, and I weaved along the road eagerly searching for anything that resembled that it had feathers, majestic looking or not. I came up empty handed. I couldn't figure this out.. just because they had a Eagle festival on the weekend, that means that the raptors have packed up and left their vacation haven?

I turned into a roadway, that lead to two subdivisions, with the smack me in the face name of EAGLE POINT, which now a days is just another name for yet another subdivision. True to myself me... I spotted a passer by with a cute black lab (with my co-pilot nervously watching from inside her safe zone), and asked the woman about this location called EAGLE POINT. It was then that I realized that in fact I had hit the motherload of eagle watching and had in fact hit eden. Well lucky me... as I was about to drive home.. feeling a little skunked, except for the couple of eagles I saw way back down the highway.

Life is interesting... it's a continual set of circumstances that are forever happening that continue to ripple until another wave comes to pass, and sets one adrift onto another motion.

Had I not talked to the lady collecting her mail, I would not have found the unmarked trail that leads to the water, where I wouldn't have met a woman with a similar passion as me, which wouldn't have set me onto another microstock sight, which I have now applied for, and probably will not have any gains from it either, but all the same, from one split second decision, it changed the direction that I was heading in. Quite fascinating really.

Now the real thing about this isolated location was the evidence that some people have their retirement savings invested in their photography hobbies. Some of these lenses were longer than my lower leg, and that is the longer one to boot. It was quite interesting to see.

I have to admit, when I was leaving that morning, I had no idea what to expect, or what I would find, so in actuality I didn't get some beautiful photos of any eagles that filled my viewfinder, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't have, at that moment, I didn't. It's all about timing and luck. As I was driving home (Burns Road... it was that close!) I managed to spot a heron... (big deal), but the exciting part was capturing it as it started off in flight... and that my friends is luck and timing. I had perfect timing with the camera, except no luck getting it to focus that quickly, but my hopes are not dashed... as I will continue to hunt the elusive best photo..... and put it out there... for the people to see... all three of you!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi
We just got back from a two night get a way! On our drive home we stopped at the kilby area and I got lucky with the big burdies! Have a look at my post for some grainy pics, but no denying they are bald Eagles!!!