Saturday, May 12, 2007

This was a parade??

The big excitement around here are the Mayday festivities. It's a quaint little affair, which has the appeal of a small town effect.

I don't feel that excitement any longer.

My draw is the parade... I love the parade. The parade is just fun to watch, until today.

I need to understand something... just because we have a nutcake screwed up Mayor... does that mean that the parade takes on the same effect? I love to watch the Vancouver drill team.. (men on motorbikes!). They were not in attendance today.. my sister watched the blood drain from my face, I was close to death. The Mayday float couldn't really be seen as it drifted past us at the speed of light, with the pretty little flower girls all deeply hidden in the float, and the boys (lancers) doing practically a jog along the parade route. That lead to the people in golf carts almost taking out children in the streets, and asking that the legion people speed up in their walking capabilities. The guy in one of the trucks says to the parade people that they are going to give the walkers all heart attacks. No freaking kidding. Then I saw a gold cart lady almost crack into a girl doing a cartwheel. There were huge lapses between "floats", if you can even call them floats. I saw the "A & W" truck drive by with pink signs taped on either side of it boasting of "the special". "Mama burgers 2 for six bucks". That was it. The Shriners, who by all my experience with parades are always in attendance at parades were nowhere to be found today. There were two pipebands, one of which came from Mission. I didn't even know Mission had a pipeband! The regular "big" pipebands were also none existant.

It was simply embarressing. I got up and went to the dollar store to get miss high 10 year old maintenance some sun glasses, OK, it was sunny afterall, so she wasn't that high maintenance, but she became high maintenance when she stole the sunglasses off my face and I could no longer see. At least we parked ourselves on the sunny side of the street, at least we were warm!

I need to start my letter to the city..... oh where do I begin.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm actually glad we missed it...first time since I can remember. There really is no "parade" without those Harley's doing circles down our streets....and those Shriners....such sadness I do agree!

Susan said...

We were in the Hyack parade last year, in New West. I hate being in a parade. It means being there an hour early to get in position. Usually blazing heat or freezing rain! It was so hot. We were behing the Legion marchers. Those old dudes were lilting badly and a couple of them hitched a ride on our float upon my insistance.