Thursday, March 08, 2007

This is it for tonight

I heard the boy clicking away earlier. He was busily doing something on the computer, which didn't appear to be building his slide shows. It was getting late so I asked him what he was up to. He told me that he had searched for the words to its a "Mad World", and had retyped them into a larger font. Things became silent for a while after that, but I could still hear him moving about, with the printer just slighly humming above the quiet. I have to love that HP! Just when I thought he had taken the words on paper and snuck away to his bedroom I managed to pick up the slightest sounds. It was his voice, singing the words to "Mad World", with the piano tune in the background.

He demonstrated to me the other night that he could play the song with his right hand, and then sat there and plucked out the words from his head and sang the song. I was impressed with his ability to place words and music together.

He has practiced quite a number of times since last week, and now can play the song with both hands, including the pedal. It sounds quite good. But when he started singing, it really came alive. I was filled with a huge amount of happiness to sit and listen to him play.

It was just a couple of weeks back when I told him to tell his piano teacher that TODAY (whenever that date was) would be his last lesson. I wasn't wasting money any longer on something that gave me a rather large headache, as I manage to fall upon headaches without the aide of him. That said, I knew deep down in my heart that it would take just one song to get his attention, and he could fly with it.

I think he has taken flight. I hope he can keep his momentum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He obviously has an "ear" for the instrument....I never had that. I hope he never gives it up!