Thursday, June 18, 2009

Over and almost out.

I went to the boys "ending ceremony" last night. Yes, it's a good thing the husbandman didn't break his plans to go to this "BIG" event.

The gym was sardined up like it was the last piece of scrapmetal around, just before entering a pressure cooker.

They had a couple of people speak, and a group of kids put a slide show together. The principal read a story. (OK.. this principal guy reminds me of my Gramerica son... but just a little more advanced in age). And that was it!

What about the sports teams?
What about the hobbie groups?
What about the kids in band & rockband?
What about the kids that made an effort in the school?
What about a certificate for "thanks for coming to middle school!"

When the Gramericason entered into middle school, all the teachers and leaders talked about was getting involved, getting involved & getting involved. Three years later of "getting involved" and no one is recognized for it? Now I must admit.. this is coming from a parent that has a child that was in NO WAYS involved in anything extra curricular... except to hold up the building, but that was it.

I guess this really was the ultimate in a "leaving" theme.

Thanks for coming, now go.

I did manage to meet up with some of "the boys" influences, and we chatted. The rockband teacher loved him... because he was the first & only kid to play a perfectly gifted heavy as hell "hammond" organ for the rockshow. Mr Rockband teacher said he loved that... as he has been waiting for "someone" to come along, and really play it. He said there were students that had come along, and tried it out, but the big sound scared them, and they didn't really embrace playing it. He knew he had found the perfect someone when the boy with the big personality (his words not mine) sat down and made the thing sing.

Another teacher found me, and wished me luck with my boy. She didn't teach him, but had much to do with him. ( I didn't ask for what... because... why would I do that..?) It was very nice that she said to me that she was blown away by this boys personality, and his incredible honesty. ( I still didn't ask....but beginning to be terrified here....) It was nice to hear from her that although his grades didn't spell out a very bright child, he in fact was, and hopefully maturity will help him reach his potential. Although she said... his personality alone would probably just take him places. This is all his father's fault.

The crazy principal invited the boy over to his home with the $27,000 dollars worth of recording equipment, so the crazy principal said to me. The crazy boy accepted. The crazy principal & the crazy boy have spent a lot of time together in the music room. The crazy principal is also a "musician", and talks at the speed of light. Him and the boy are probably related in some way.... they have to be... they even moved their fingers the same way when I took a picture of them.

So there it is... my boy... getting older. I am thinking that the real thing that grew these past three years was his personality. In the fall his stage becomes three times the size. OMG.

OH.. and had a conversation with a friend down the street. The daughter has joined cheerleading. The daughter is a straight A student. Nice for her. The mother said that if the child does not maintain her straight A average then she was going to be ripped from the cheerleading team, because being a cheerleader will not get you a job. AND there are three practices a week.

OH... so straight A's get you a job? I see.
Three practices a week also is time consuming for a parent.

Houston, we have a problem.

Straight A's does not spell out to me that in fact equals effort, which ends in job prospects.

Straight A's is a package.
It tells me that a child is willing to fit whatever mould that are the requirements of the teacher.
Straight A's also says that you may be a good test taker, and not suffer from anxiety. Lucky for you.
Straight A's are very subjective.

I have seen straight A efforts, and straight A work ethics, and straight A exceeding expectations all met on a criteria sheet, and a C+ grade in return. I am no pansy when it comes to you get out of it what you put into it... but I have been witness to the "not so in the box" attitude.

So ya... go cheerleader go... hopefully you will not fall to your mother's expectations... and be ripped out from yet again something that you might enjoy in your little life, beyond getting A's to satisfy one's regrets.

OH, I think I just hatched a lime here....

1 comment:

Chaos is my Life said...

We managed to get through three out of four....by 1 and 2 percent. Oh and apparently we're writing a provincial exam for the one we didn't get through....on Monday> Does that make any sense in Hell?