Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Life is too short to reread bad books



Guess which one I am referring to? The book group read the top book this month, and I read the bottom one. I didn't dare to be different, but rather commonsensicle. A read the top book a couple of years back... I BELIEVE it was PAINFUL. Really really PAINFUL.
I had randomly picked up "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett a number of months back. I didn't start reading it until the May long weekend, and although it took me a number of weeks to finish it; it was well worth the time it took. It was an incredibly well written book.The characters were interesting as well as evil, the plot was predictable, but all the same, exciting to press on. I appreciated that with every turn of the page something was going to happen. On the first day I read the book, I slammed it shut. I could tell that I was going to love it. And I did.
I am still going to plug ahead with my book group tomorrow night, even if I didn't read the assigned book, but more importantly i would like to hear what the people had to say about it. I know I wont have much to say about the book from above....at least those are my thoughts Miriam.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Heidi just read that! She kept reading aloud all the juicy bits. She loves to drive me nuts like that! OK, it bugs me that my baby reads grown up books! Now I know how my mom felt when she found grown up books in my closet in grade six..... only Heidi is 17!
I guess they are always our babies!