Thursday, October 26, 2006

The fire starter

I sent an email to the boy's teacher today. It explained the facts as to howcome I was NOT interested in building chocolate chip cookies with the boy at home, since he missed the 'DEMO' of building the cookies in class with the "foods" teacher. The foods teacher told me three times over that they have policies in place for missed demos. When she was about to tell me for the fourth time about the policies, I interrupted her and said I had gotten it on the first time around. If the kids miss the demos, they are not allowed to cook, it's that simple. I stated to her that the boy was on a school based field trip that day, and I don't believe that he was allowed to miss out on that either. The tiny but very perky sounding "foods" teacher told me that her sole job was to teach foods, and she didn't have anything to do with any of the other parts of the program. ANYTHING. Yes, I was figuring that out rather quickly. That is when I sent an email to the "core" teacher, and explained my "riff" to her. Someone is lacking in some communication somewhere, and the end result is that the process that was missed has to now fall on the backs of the parents to complete. I don't think so!

I am thinking that I am going to watch the boy make a milkshake, and observe his fine technique involved in that process.. and detail those observations on the sheet provided for the parent to complete at home about their child... I don't know about you... but that boy of mine has the ability to obtain a fair level of EXCELLENCE in chocolate banana milkshake making. The "foods" teacher detailed to me about the fact that it isn't the END RESULT of the chocolate chip cookies baking, but rather the PROCESS. So, when it comes to ticking off the texture portion of the assignment.. once again that boy will range in the pursuit of EXCELLENCE catagory.

I don't need to borrow a light... I am pretty good at starting fires all on my lonesome!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Would you like David and Heidi to come over and do a demo for him? They bake choc chip cookies a couple times a week! They love to bake! But then, you love to stick to your principles!

Chastity said...

You are too funny! Who ever heard of a foods teacher any way??