Friday, February 25, 2005

One man, one phone

There's something to be said about cell phones. They are annoying little trinkets of desire. Annoying first of all because they can't simply have a cute little cellphonish ring, like bling bling someones calling. NO, not so.. some smart ass music loving fool has to invent the option of downloadable tunes from who knows where... which produces a remixed version of some familiar song, which is only audible to it's owners ears, and questionable to the unfortunate audiences ear.

I won't even begin to speak of all the places where I can't believe that people talk on their cell phones... that will remain common knowledge. I see it time and time again... and now in this new age of motherly teachings.. I have to remind my children on a daily basis that when you deal with people... deal with one person at a time.. not a person on a phone, and the person standing in front of you.. it's just rude.. Once again.. only slightly annoying to this person with little tolerance. Although to myself.. I find it amusing to watch people in their daily undertakings... talking on their gadgets while having their right arm stitched up.. that kind of stuff.

As annoying as the little beasts (I am still talking cell phones here) can be.... my sister in law referred to it as a leash... although they are remotely helpful. This leads me to a cheery example like my Wednesday 6:00 PM traffic report... my most helpful husband calls me up to let me know of the quickest escape route from the gymnastics location and onward to the piano location... in the meantime.. I have to stop and pick up only a burger and drink or subway for the chicklets.. drop the girl off at home, then take the boy to piano.. all of this has to be mastered in45 minutes... and somedays without my 6:00 PM traffic report... this just could not happen. At this moment in time... it puts a smile on my face... so I try to have my phone charged and loaded for the once a week call.

Speaking of helpful husbands... cell phones are handy in other respects. You can always locate the loving fellow with a quick click of a button as well as remain unlocatable or vise versa. Today there was an amazing demonstration by my nice and lovely friend down the street.... bling bling goes the phone... you sneak a peek at the number, then quaintly plunk the cell phone back in your pocket and say "stay"... one of the few times that these husbands actually listen. I have seen this method.. and it works... the trick is.. you just don't want them calling back... especially if you have the "downloaded tunes option" happening on the cell phone... because that's a conversation stopper.. and all thoughts are focused on the remixed tune of an old song.... and then by accident you could answer the phone of the very person that you have just plunked in your pocket. Luckily todays tune was a bling bling ring and therefore did not distract us from our very intense conversation... which was all about how not to get your dogs tail run over while talking in the middle of the road. Practical womanly things like that..... and one man on one phone just wouldn't get that.

2 comments:

Chastity said...

On the toilet in a public restroom, that's where I can't believe people talk on their cellphones.

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

I was at Steak N Shake last month and had to wait for the only potty while the Manager talked in the stall on the phone! Urghhhhh. Then gave me a dirty look when she came out. Ooh, was that 'cause I started talking about her after 15 minutes? oops - sorry.

But yes, on your other topic re: cell phones - I don't go overboard, but when bored waiting in the car, I'll spend $6 and suddenly have a phone with a new wallpaper and new ring. Whatever happened to it just being a phone! (I have a cute little picture cover coming my way in the mail too!)

And yes, how on earth did our parents survive going out and running errands without knowing that the school could reach them every second of their day! My son's teacher ignores home numbers and just heads straight for the cell phone. This way she doesn't waste time seeing if I'm home.