Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Those teeth of mine...

I went to the dentist last week. Not a shock, since I seem to be at the dentist an awful lot, I think more than the average person. Currently I have hit the high note of showing up every three weeks!

I got this "appliance" a number of weeks back.. I think it could be months now actually.. and I am supposed to wear it to straighten my front teeth. Or some parts of my teeth, I'm not sure. Anyways... I complained to my dentist for two reasons: one, that I hissed all the time, or at least I felt I was hissing all the time... and that wasn't even when I was talking to my children.. I was now hissing in regular conversation. I disliked the hissing... "Oh, there's that Mrs. MacSnake... you don't want to talk to her... she will just hiss at you....", you know that sort of horrible hissing. And two; I was quite pissed that I had realize how crooked my front teeth were, and was even more pissed to note that not only did I have braces for an extensive period of time during the crucial most crushing years of my life.. ( OH FLIP... ! the realization just appeared.....!), and then I had the FREAKING things again when I was 21 because my front teeth were crossing again. Shock of shocks! Well... now that I am truly ancient, and am showing the signs to prove it, I wasn't happy with the crooked teeth keeping me from smiling.. and I thought to myself.. I am going to get myself some of those well deserved laugh lines... and I better bloody well get them from laughing, and not simply from aging... and for some reason I was thinking to myself that I wouldn't just laugh at will because now I had these hugely crossed teeth appearing out from under the overly bright lipstick. Now this gave me an icky feeling.... ( essentially laugh lines without laughing.. truly unfair!)... hence the visit to the dentist.

There I was in his office last week, and I wondered if the appliance had made any improvements to the crooked factor. I know that I have quit hissing... I can just tell, but I have to be careful not to make the notations when the children are near.. it is very easy to hiss at them sometimes.. so I only make note of the nonhissing in adult conversation... anyways... the dentist hauled out the models made of the teeth.....

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Yes, the appliance is working. I can't believe how almost uncrossed they actually are. Mind you.. they are still crossing a slight bit in the front, but they are certainly a HELL OF A LOT straighter than when I started. I couldn't believe it. Of course I am supposed to wear it ALL THE TIME... but then for some reason I forget to take it with me in the mornings, and then I don't wear it on the weekends when I work, or on Mondays when I have my group.. so I am pretty impressed with the slow steady progress. I will be more impressed if I could get my teeth back to what they once looked like a number of years ago: big, straight and white.

I know I am going to hit the first one, the second is a challenge, and the third one is a constant, but at least I am still swigging the Hydrogen Peroxide in the meantime. ( I will have to remember to share; and stop the swilling with the pouring of it on the girls head of hair, now that summer is here, and potentially that also means that the sun will shine!).

1 comment:

Susan said...

You have always had the most contagious smile of any one I know. The overly bright lipstick just adds to the smileyness of you.
Glad you are happy with the dental progress.