Friday, October 08, 2004

Rules, rules, rules

I am sure glad that I am not my boy in the fourth grade. Way so glad. I am confused by the number of rules that have happened since the grade four doors have opened. This class has two teachers, so they have rules for certain days. I think they have rules for the rules. These two teachers are into crime and punishment. If anyone steps out of line, the whole class is punished. Interesting practice. So yesterday, when the class was lining up for gym apparently they were too noisy. So, no gym for them. None. Once again, an interesting practice. No gym for an excited group of 9 and 10 year olds. I hope the teacher uses this same theory when it comes to math. Now I can see an absolute uproar here, I mean there are the few soles in this world that love math to pieces, and probably might crack a smile during class when the subject draws near. I am wondering if the same "punishment" will be applied. It's my belief that gym should not be seen as an extra, or as a reward, but should be valued the same as math, science, geography, language arts,... ect....(now, where are those obesity, sedentary, diabetic studies "those" people have been pumping out). Lucky for me I will let this go... because there is a herd of crazy mothers already in an uproar over the "no gym" policy..... this nice little teacher may have to change her practice if she wants to survive the year.... with the parents.

No comments: