Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Queen of the Kitchen

My number ten title from earlier needs some clarification. I could win mother of the year award with this, or maybe not.

I was busily cooking a fairly bad dinner for Sunday night, since it seemed that the girl was grouchy, and the husband was silent, and the boy was still sick, so it seemed fitting to have a clearly bad dinner to end the night on a sour note. Afterall, I had worked all day, then stopped and picked up a couple of odds and ends from the grocery store, and then had to stop and pick up the left over stuff at the sisters house (where the children had visited since Friday night), so why wouldn't I at this point carry on to make a completely bad dinner.

It was basic, and fast, and easy and boring. An absolute no thinking sort of process. Ah, but I ponder on that last thought... the carrots and potatoes were no brainers. It was the un-opened vacuumed sealed ham steaks dated February 18th that had me guessing. I shrugged my shoulders and then popped the newly opened fresh smelling but perhaps out of date hamsteaks in our non-stick frying pan to warm them up as well.

Ah... Dinner is served! to the Motley Crew..... the sick boy was too hot to eat, so he drank juice, the girl was happy to see meat on her plate and steaming carrots so she cheered up.. and then the husbandman happily spooned potatoes and carrots onto his plate, and politely took a little half slice of ham. Me, being the Queen of the Kitchen found delight in the potatoes and carrots and a piece of left over chicken. The now cooked maybe outdated ham sat in the non stick frying pan....untouched. I had to think the whole time... if I had just set the little grouchy family into a big pit of food poisioning, I better not eat the ham as the boy was already sick, and the rest could develop some form of something.. so I thought it was better to save myself for clean up duty.

It is now Tuesday night.....people continue to be happy, and the boy continues to be sick, and there is a piece of left over ham in the fridge. How odd.

No comments: